DefendDefenders is seeking an experienced Project Lead to work on DATA4CHAN.GE, an initiative that aims to build the capacity of Kenyan, Ugandan and Tanzanian human rights organisations to collect, analyse, and visualise data.
The desired applicant is dynamic, self-starting, detail-oriented, interdisciplinary and technically proficient, and is committed to improving human rights and developing the capabilities of civil society in East Africa.
DATA4CHAN.GE (D4C) is a project of Small Media Foundation. D4C matches human rights organisations and journalists with researchers, designers and developers to create data visualisations and advocacy projects geared toward making positive social and political change. See more information and examples of past campaigns at https://data4chan.ge.
DefendDefenders is the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project. We seek to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (together with Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Learn more at www.defenddefenders.org
Minimum 3 years working or freelancing experience in ICT, media, journalism, design, data, development, NGO, human rights, communications, or related fields – preferably with experience in the intersections of combinations of these fields.
Applicants must have the following skills:
- Project management & logistics skills
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity with office and online communication and collaboration tools (e.g. Google Apps)
- Experience in communications and social media
- Advanced overall ICT skills
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills rapidly
- Monitoring & Evaluation
Plus expertise in some mixture of the below areas:
- Data visualisation
- Data journalism
- Campaigning or Human rights advocacy
- Databases, data analysis and manipulation
- Graphics Design/Illustration
- Working with creative consultants (Designers, developers, etc) to complete projects
- Web development
Spoken and written English fluency is essential.
- Promoting the ‘DATA4CHAN.GE’ project in East Africa, shortlisting applicants, and serving as point of contact for selected organisations
- Contribute to curriculum on data collection and electronic documentation for human rights organisations
- Mentorship and support to human rights organisations to improve skills and usage of electronic documentation and data for advocacy (including social media strategies, advocacy projects, reporting, analysis, and data visualisation)
- Logistics for 2 major workshops plus mini-seminars
- Selecting and directing contractors and consultants (designers and developers) in creating data-driven advocacy campaigns
- Writing blogs, social media posts, and success stories from the project
- Communications with project partners and beneficiaries
- Contributing to impact measurement reporting
- Use collaborative tools (Google Docs, Slack) to communicate and document project progress
- Narrative reporting
- Reviewing financial reports
- Analysing challenges and lessons learned
In discharging the above responsibilities the Project Lead will have the oversight and input of DefendDefenders and Small Media staff.
Salary and Benefits
Salary: 4,500,000/= UGX Gross (before PAYE and NSSF deductions)
Benefits: Health insurance plus 1 dependant
Working conditions and Term
Position is Full Time (Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm).
Contract period is 10 Months with the possibility of renewal.
Email jobs [at] defenddefenders [dot] org with a statement of interest and your CV. Include links to past work or portfolio if relevant. Do not send copies of academic documents. Application deadline is Friday 31 March 2017.